Thursday 27 March 2014

2014 Predictions (EL, PL & NL)

Okay, because you didn't really get a proper blog this week - I was trying to not lose my head over the latest Brandon soap opera - you've been left a little wanting in the oomph stakes. Or maybe you don't care. Either way - and because everyone's doing theirs in the Speedway Star this week - here's something extra, my 2014 season predictions!

ELITE LEAGUE

Elite League predictions are hugely tough to do this season, and all because of the Fast Track Draft. You know I already think it's a fantastic idea and it throws an extra element of chance into the race for the play-offs - even if you can judge the reserves on their National League form, who's to say they'll carry that over (its never guaranteed from NL to PL), and we still don't know just how much effect it will have on meeting results.

I've tried to take my usual scientific approach to predictions - it's a massive failure at EL level but quit successful in the lower leagues - but I've also thrown in what must be called the Ford Factor. Simply put, Poole have shown that they'll do whatever it takes to finagle their way into the play-offs, and you can't discount that from any proper calculation.

So, without further ado, and open to massive margins of error, are my EL predictions:

1st Poole Pirates
2nd King's Lynn Stars
3rd Lakeside Hammers
4th Wolverhampton Wolves, 5th Coventry Bees, 6th Belle Vue Aces, 7th Swindon Robins, 8th Eastbourne Eagles, 9th Birmingham Brummies, 10th Leicester Lions

PREMIER LEAGUE

With no obvious spanner in the works, the Premier League is a simpler pick. I did pretty well last year, and I'm going to stick with the same formula that worked its magic then.

It's the northern clubs that come out up top - well, other than the risible Glasgow - and I'd be very surprised to see that trophy staying down south. Edinburgh look to have that little something extra over the rest, and Berwick have a secret weapon in Steen Jensen. As for Workington, it's all-round strength for me.

At the bottom it's the usual suspects, although Sheffield look much better this season. Plymouth look vulnerable at home, and will get hammered by a few away, but should still finish above the Scottish Tigers. Still, I'm often wrong and never afraid to admit it!

1st Edinburgh Monarchs
2nd Berwick Bandits
3rd Workington Comets
4th Ipswich Witches, 5th Peterborough Panthers, 6th Newcastle Diamonds, 7th Somerset Rebels, 8th Rye House Rockets, 9th Sheffield Tigers, 10th Scunthorpe Scorpions, 11th Redcar Bears, 12th Plymouth Devils, 13th Glasgow Tigers

NATIONAL LEAGUE

My National League predictions were also pretty good last season, and it is a league that you can generally judge quite well. However, if you look at the league as a whole, there's been quite a turnover of talent this season, and so an element of mystery may creep in.

The absolute wildcards are Buxton. They are still three riders shy of a full team, and there has been talk that they are struggling to find names at the top end to complete the side. If it were down to me, I'd let them use James Wright or Sam Ermolenko or anyone else willing to ride for £10 a point, but I don't have much swing on this. As it is, I can only err on the side of caution, and so I've placed them quite low.

At the top Cradley Heath look like solid title contenders, with a good 1-5, and two reserves who can improve. Kent have a trump card in Brandon Freemantle, and Coventry have put together a solid top 5 that should perform well almost everywhere.

1st Cradley Heath Heathens
2nd Kent Kings
3rd Coventry Storm
4th Mildenhall Fen Tigers, 5th King's Lynn Young Stars, 6th Stoke Potters, 7th Devon demons, 8th Buxton Hitmen, 9th Scunthorpe Stags

No comments:

Post a Comment